Friday 30 August 2013

The Bungles

Hi everyone who is still following along! Thanks for reading. We are currently at Fitzroy River Lodge in Fitzroy Crossing, West Kimberleys, Western Australia. We had a huge day in the Bungle Bungle Range yesterday. I learnt that they are not the Bungle Bungles as I had been calling them for years- that would be a double plural. So they are either the Bungles or the Bungle Bungle.

First, a word of warning. The road into the Bungles is rough. Not technical 4WDing rough, just lots of corrugations. lots of up & down and lots of twists and turns. We averaged about 40km/hour and all the kids felt car sick. It didn't make for a particularly pleasant journey in but it was only just over an hour to the Visitor Centre at the start of the National Park. Because it was twisty, you couldn't skim over the corrugations like you can at 80km/hr. We made it and it was worth it, however next time I come back here I think I'll be doing a helicopter flight in! it was like a rollercoaster ride for over an hour that I couldn't get off and was forced to do again a few hours later.

Like I said, it was all worth it though as the Bungles are just like the photos- spectactular.

It was hard to believe that Europeans only 'discovered' them in the 1980's. We got up SUPER early as the temps have been getting into the high 30's by mid morning and that is just too hot to walk, especially with the girls and with no waterholes at the end to cool off. So at 6am we set off from Bungle Bungle Caravan Park and hit the road. We stopped off to have breakfast along the way and was at the start of the Cathedral Gorge track around 8am while it was still relatively cool. It was an amazing place and we took our time with Chris taking some great photos and the girls and I building sandcastles. A couple we had met at a few locations over the last week were there and they are talented singers who sang a beautiful Aboriginal song that reverberated around the Gorge. I recorded it on my phone but doubt I will have the bandwidth to upload it at the moment. When I get back home I will share it.



Walking into Cathedral Gorge
Cathedral Gorge

We are the tiny people in the bottom left corner!
After Cathedral Gorge, we drove to the other end of the park to take a look at Echidna Chasm. When choosing where to go, we have to realise that the girls only do well with short walks so we look at those around 2-3km return. Anymore and we end up carrying a grumpy bunch of kids and it's no fun for anyone. Thankfully,most places have plenty of great walks close to the car parks. Echidna Chasm is also only around 2km but it was getting hot by the time we arrived there, even if we did leave camp at 6am! A little way in Sophia was complaining of a headache and Caitlin needed the bathroom so we turned back to the airconditioned car while Chris & Sam continued on- the photos look great so one day I'll have to get back there in my chopper!

Echidna Chasm





Thats it from me. See you next time!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Simone. Yes, I'm following you still. I must show this to Mike. He'll be very jealous as this is what we wanted to do this time last year. You sound like you are having a blast...I'm jealous myself!! Look forward to the next post. Safe travels. Debbie Ward

    ReplyDelete